Am I able to walk in for a new IL license issuance, as well as plates?
April 2, 2023
Q) Am I able to walk in for a new IL license issuance, as well as plates? I currently have both in Colorado. I assume I would need to bring something with my address printed, and I am unsure of what else is necessary. Thank you in advance.
A) Yes, you can walk in to a driver’s facility to apply for a new Illinois driver’s license and plates. You will need to bring the following items:
- Your current Colorado driver’s license
- Proof of identity (such as a passport or birth certificate)
- Proof of Illinois residency (such as a utility bill or lease agreement)
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- Proof of vehicle emissions testing (if required in your county)
- The application fee
- The vehicle registration fee
- The vehicle title fee
You can find a list of driver’s facilities and their hours of operation on the Illinois Secretary of State website.
Here are some additional tips for applying for a new Illinois driver’s license and plates:
- Arrive early to avoid long wait times.
- Be prepared to provide all of the required documents.
- Have your payment in cash or check.
- Be patient and courteous to the staff.
I hope this helps!