I am on active duty stationed in Germany. Can my parents register my car for me with power of attorney?

Q) I am currently on active duty in the U.S. Army, and I am stationed in Germany. I left a car at my parents house. Can I have my parents register it for me in the state of Louisiana if I send them a power of attorney? If so, what requirements do I need to meet?

A) It is possible for you to authorize your parents to register your car in Louisiana on your behalf by executing a power of attorney. A power of attorney is a legal document that allows you to appoint someone else to act on your behalf in certain legal matters.

To execute a power of attorney, you will need to draft the document and have it signed in front of a notary public. Some states may have specific requirements for the power of attorney to be valid, so it’s a good idea to check with the state of Louisiana’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see if there are any specific requirements that need to be met.

Once you have executed the power of attorney and your parents have it in their possession, they should be able to use it to register the car in your name at the Louisiana DMV. They may need to provide proof of ownership of the car, such as the title or bill of sale, as well as proof of their identity and your identity. It’s a good idea to check with the Louisiana DMV to see what specific documents will be required.

Keep in mind that the power of attorney will only be valid for a specific period of time, as stated in the document. If you want your parents to be able to continue to act on your behalf after that time, you will need to execute a new power of attorney.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *