I recently inherited a vehicle from my mom. I need to request a replacement Title

Q) I recently inherited a vehicle from my mom who lived in St. Francisville. The succession has been completed and I am trying to get the car titled in my name. I have been unable to find the title so I guess I need to request a replacement Title. I live in Mississippi so the ultimate title will be here but I am sure I will need to provide them with the original title when I transfer it over. Can you tell me what I would need to provide and where to send it to get a replacement title sent to me. Thanks

A) To request a replacement title for a vehicle in Louisiana, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Fill out the Louisiana DMV’s Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title form (Form DPSMV 2052).
  2. Provide proof of ownership, such as a copy of the succession paperwork or a bill of sale if the vehicle was gifted to you.
  3. Pay the fee for a duplicate title, which is currently $68.50.

You can submit the application and supporting documents by mail or in person at your nearest Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) location. Here is the address for the St. Francisville OMV:

St. Francisville Motor Vehicles Office 11936 Ferdinand St St. Francisville, LA 70775

You should receive your replacement title in the mail within a few weeks. Once you have the title in hand, you can take it to the Mississippi DMV to transfer the vehicle into your name. You may also want to check with the Mississippi DMV to see if they require any additional documentation beyond the title when you transfer the vehicle.

Note that if there are any liens on the vehicle, you will need to contact the lienholder to obtain a lien release before you can get a replacement title.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *