What do I need to do to renew my IL car license? It expired on February 2020th
March 14, 2023
A) To renew your car license in Illinois, you will need to follow these steps:
- Check your eligibility: In Illinois, you can renew your car license up to one year before it expires, or within 30 days after it expires. If it has been more than 30 days since it expired, you will need to visit a Secretary of State office.
- Obtain your renewal notice: If you have not received a renewal notice in the mail, you can obtain one online or in-person at a Secretary of State office.
- Complete the renewal process: You can renew your car license online, by mail, or in-person at a Secretary of State office.
- To renew online, visit the Illinois Secretary of State website and follow the prompts to complete the renewal process.
- To renew by mail, follow the instructions on the renewal notice and mail the required documents and fee to the address provided.
- To renew in-person, visit a Secretary of State office with your renewal notice and required documents, and pay the fee.
- Pay the renewal fee: The fee to renew your car license in Illinois varies depending on the type of license and the length of time for which you are renewing. You can find the fee information on the Illinois Secretary of State website or on your renewal notice.
- Receive your new car license: After completing the renewal process and paying the fee, you will receive your new car license in the mail within 15 business days.
It’s important to note that if your car license has been expired for more than one year, you may be required to retake the written and driving tests before renewing.