A) According to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, you can renew your driver’s license online, by mail, or by visiting any Driver Licensing Regional office . However, there are some exceptions and eligibility criteria that you need to be aware of before you renew your license .
Some of the exceptions are:
- Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDLs) and permits cannot be renewed online.
- Non-US citizens cannot renew driver’s licenses online due to visa updates.
- Under 21 licenses (Vertical Format) cannot be renewed online. Note: a person that has reached their 21st birthday can renew online.
- Voter ID cards and Homeless ID Cards are not able to renew on-line due to required documentation.
Some of the eligibility criteria are:
- All personal information listed on your current license or ID must not have changed (name, address, license class).
- You will receive the same card version you currently have (i.e., you cannot request a REAL ID if you have a standard license).
- License or ID card replacements (lost/stolen) cannot be accepted online at this time.
- You have to pay with a debit or credit card, and there is a service fee. (1.5% for debit cards and 2.75% for credit cards).
- Applicants may renew online up to 6 months before the license expiration date or up to one year past the expiration date on your license.
If you meet these criteria, you can renew your license online at this portal. Once your application has been approved by the Transportation Cabinet, your credential will be mailed to the address they have on file. You will verify your address during the application process.
If you do not meet these criteria, or prefer to renew your license in person, you can visit any Driver Licensing Regional office or a Popup Event in your county. You can find more information about these options here. You will need to provide your expiring driver’s license and pay the renewal fee. No testing is required for persons with expired credentials less than 5 (five) years .
I hope this information helps you with your license renewal process. Have a great day!